Leigh D Walker is an artist who explores a variety of disciplines including painting, drawing, printmaking, collage and installation.
Born in South-West Scotland, she studied for her Honours Degree in Drawing & Painting at Edinburgh College of Art/Heriot Watt University. After working as a professional artist and lecturer, she returned to her studies and completed a Master of Fine Arts at Edinburgh College of Art/Edinburgh University in 2006.
Combining her art practise with exhibiting, teaching and community art, Leigh’s interests are many and varied. Her work reflects this eclectic attitude. The exquisite surfaces of her paintings and the intricate beauty of her drawings reflect her ongoing fascination with the craft of drawing and painting. She enjoys experimenting with a variety of images and creating unexpected and arresting pieces. Her creations are often poignant, sometimes humorous and occasionally disquieting.
Being the recipient of numerous awards, Leigh has exhibited widely in the UK and Australia. She has shown in venues such as The Royal Scottish Academy, The National Portrait Gallery, London and The Scottish Gallery. Her work is held in public and private collections throughout the UK, such as The Scottish Equitable Collection and The South Ayrshire Council Collection.
Her paintings have featured in The BP Portrait Award Calendar, The Financial Times (UK), The Mail on Sunday and Livewire Magazine.
Currently living and working in South Eastern Australia, Leigh makes regular visits to the United Kingdom.
- Edinburgh College of Art/Edinburgh University 2004 – 2006
- Edinburgh College of Art/Heriot Watt University 1993 – 1997.
- Ecole des Beaux Arts, Strasbourg, France – 1996
- Master of Fine Arts (Drawing & Painting) Edinburgh College of Art/Edinburgh University – 2006
- Bachelor of Art in Art & Design (Drawing & Painting) 1st Class Honours Edinburgh College of Art/Heriot Watt University – 1997
- Society of Graphic Fine Art Award – 2005
- Hope Scott Trust Postgraduate Award – 2005
- Andrew Grant Bequest Award – 2004
- Ken Cowley Award – 1999
- Sunday Mail Art Show, Commended – 1998
- Great Universal Stores Award – 1998
- Macallan Award – 1997
- Scottish Equitable, Edinburgh
- South Ayrshire Council
- Philips Gallery, Manchester
- Satow, Edinburgh
- MacDonnell/De Laszlo, London
- Simmons, London